Tuesday, September 3, 2013

What's up with pigment eyeshadow?

So, what's the difference between loose pigments and pressed eyeshadows (Pressed eyeshadows as in: Naked palette, most eyeshadow palettes in fact...)? Loose pigments are easier (in my opinion) to work with when you want to blend your eyeshadow out. Pressed shadows seem to work better for the older generation because loose pigments can have some fall out if not applied correctly, and can settle into fine lines. My own mother hates using pigments because they're "too hard to work with". BUT, if you use a good eye primer (I prefer Too Faced Shadow Insurance and Urban Decay Primer Potion), tap off excess pigment back into the container, and build your color or coverage,  they work perfectly. I personally prefer working with mineral pigments than pressed shadows, but especially when it comes to MATTE eyeshadows, that can get hard to use over time as it cakes. People sometimes use their fingers with their pressed eyeshadows! DON'T DO IT! Not only do you give up control of your eyeshadow shaping and blending, you put bacteria into your eyeshadows. YUCKY. 

In fact, this is my "pigment drawer". Yes, there are a few other eyeshadows in it, but for the most part it's over 100 single sample or deluxe sample eyeshadows. A lot of independent brands offer generous samples for 1.00-1.50 so you can try them out before you commit to a full size eyeshadow. 

Anyways, I figured I'd share with you some of my favorite pigment BRANDS. 

Pretty Zombie Cosmentics
If you LOVE using bright colors, matte colors, and aren't afraid to get creative with your make up, PZC is for you. They have a killer pro-matte line that I'm in love with. I swatched a couple of them below for you to look at! They are completely matte, and completely gorgeous to work with. You can check out their loose pigment collection here: http://www.prettyzombiecosmetics.com/category/loose-eyeshadow 

These colors are (from bottom to top): Pink Spiderweb, Sea Witch, and Hocus Potion. 


Dark Heart Designs
Dark Heart Designs is an independent company I've been sampling for a LONG time now. I have yet to find a product I didn't like. The owner is quick to fill orders, and very kind. She personalizes orders and even includes a list of ingredients. (This counts when working with indy companies.) She has a good color variety, but not many "neutral" colors yet. DHD has a Steampunk collection coming out soon that is full of rusty/brown-ish neutral goodness! Sometimes the store is being restocked so certain colors may be out of stock, but always check back. You can check out Tina's shop here: http://darkheartdesigns.storenvy.com. Some of my favorite eyeshadow shades include the following 3 swatches.

These colors are: Storybook, Siren's Song, and Gilded Girl. 

Pretty Addictions
Pretty Addictions was the first company I really got into a few years ago. There are a zillion colors to choose from, and the pigments are super, SUPER, smooth... like butta'!!! I really do love all of these colors. Kassie is the owner, and she's quick and efficient at getting the orders out. I tend to buy my neutral colored pigments from this company. They have a huge variety and they're SUPER affordable. 
Check out pretty addictions here: http://www.prettyaddictions.com

Here are a few of my neutrals: (Bottom to top) Foggy hollow, Dirty Girl, and Buried Treasure! 

No comments:

Post a Comment