Sunday, December 22, 2013

The Carpenter's Son


It's the Christmas season, and I've been feeling festive for a few weeks. I owe that to my participation in Charles Dickens' play "A Christmas Carol". Everyone knows the story. Scrooge has a change of heart, and comes to understand the joy of the season. He embraces giving, but also embraces the power of redemption. 

Today at church my thoughts were directed to the Savior Jesus. He came into this world in the lowliest of conditions, without any kind of glory. But the life he lived, and the love he offers us is truly a kind of brilliant glory.

My thoughts turned to Christ's earthly profession. Jesus was a carpenter by profession, and in his spiritual mission. In biblical times carpenters used crude saws and other tools to do highly physical, demanding, dirty work. 

These people were highly skilled and trained, and they not only built things, but they fixed things that needed mending. ALL broken things. Broken wheels, tables, and yokes were taken to the carpenters to be fixed. These broken things REQUIRED mending in order to function properly again. Lives momentarily halted, or were more difficult without this mending. 

Jesus does the same thing with our lives, our spirits, our relationships, and our hearts. In order for any of the above to work properly, or even work with less effort and strife, it requires completion. Christ knows and uses the correct methods and skill to make us whole again when we fall apart. 

At this time last year I was falling apart. I should have realized what plan of action would be the best for me. I should have given into the loving comfort of the Spirit of the Lord instead of curling up in my bed as a sobbing mess of anger and disappointment for the trials I had to pass through and endure. The pain felt too overwhelming, and the grief engulfed me. (Though, if I had been able to see into the future, I would have seen a glimpse of the beautiful opportunities coming my way. A couple weeks after Christmas I started dating Grant, who has been one of the greatest Christmas gifts, and blessings, I've ever been given.) 

While men can toss their promises aside for the things of moment, the Lord's promises and love are eternal and sure. His love and peace are all encompassing and unconditional. 

The Lord is truly the master carpenter. His teachings can heal you, and heal those you love.  I believe in Him, and know that things can be made right. If things are supposed to work out, they'll find a way to work. During this Christmas season, I challenge you to step back, assess your life, and find His peace. 

Remember, each of us is an Innkeeper. It is up to us to decide if we have room in our lives for Christ. Let him in. Carry the true meaning of Christmas in your heart, and know that everything is made whole, and beautiful in the Lord's time. 

Psalms 34:18 "The Lord is nigh unto them that are of a broken heart...." 

No comments:

Post a Comment