Sunday, December 1, 2013

Wedding/Special Event Make Up Do's and Dont's


I’ve been getting a few (okay, more than a few) requests for me to go over what to do if you decide to do your own wedding make up. Personally, I didn’t let anyone do my make up on my big day, because NO ONE knows my face like I do. Even though I’m a make up PRO, it was still a daunting task. (I promise I’m not indecisive about every detail… or am I?) Anyways, I’m a make up junkie AND a photographer, so I know where to go with this.
I’ll go over it, bit by bit, so pay attention and try not to fall asleep during this lengthy novel.

Step 1: Moisturize Ahead of Time
As soon as you wake up on your wedding day, slather on that moisturizer goodness. Whether you use something cheap, or something pricey, don’t skip this step. (Avoid moisturizing your eyelids though, any extra moisture there can lead to creasing. Especially if you sweat!) I have very sensitive, dry as the Sahara, skin, so I personally use a moisturizer by Simple. If you have naturally oily skin, make sure you use a mattifying or oil fee moisturizer.

Step 2: Practice ahead of time.
Don’t show up on your wedding day and think you’ll get it right. Find a look, colors, and do-ability that fits your face shape and skill level. YouTube has MANY glorious beauty gurus who will walk you through step by step how to do certain looks. If you want something light and fresh, type in “light wedding make up” or “make up for blue eyes”. If you have a beauty icon you want to try emulating type it in! (I love to watch Adele tutorials myself.) Many of these beauty gurus use expensive make up brands, be sure to research dupes. For example, if she says she’s using “Mac Twig” go ahead and Google “MAC Twig dupes” to find cheaper , but very similar, colors. Like a certain lip color? Google a dupe for it and go get it shamelessly for 5 bucks versus 16. There’s no shame in it.
Practice with fake eyelashes too… they can be daunting, but once you get it right, they’re easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Step 3: Prime and Prep
Don’t skip this step either. Use a good face primer before you get started, after moisturizing. My personal favorite is CHEAP, and contains all the same ingredients as expensive brands like Too Faced and Smashbox. What is it? Monistat Chafing Gel… read my previous posts to hear all about me singing its praises. If you want an alternative, NYX has a fabulous primer called Pore Filler for 6-7 dollars. If you’re into investing, Make Up Forever is where it’s at when it comes to high end primers. Make sure you let your face primer dry a bit.
Prime your eyes! Ever wonder how all those Pinterest eyeshadow looks look better than yours? Primer girl, primer. Primer gives your eyeshadow a base to stick to. The secret is NOT to over do it. Just a dab will do ya! I get my Too Faced Shadow Insurance on Ebay shipped for about 9 dollars. If you want another alternative, NYX jumbo eye pencil in “milk” is fabulous too… (NYX “Milk” is also a better choice for you ladies who have oily or sweaty lids, well, like me.) Other budget friendly eye primers are Wet N Wild Fergie primer, and ELF. (Though, I personally don’t really like ELF primer.) If you want to splurge, MAC Painterly Paint Pot is pretty magnificent. Another favorite is Urban Decay’s Primer Potion… but it tends to dry REALLY fast. Spread it in a very thin, even layer, but start applying eyeshadow BEFORE it’s dry.

Step 4: Eyes First
One of the BIGGEST MISTAKES women make is doing their foundation first, before eyeshadow application. Do your eyes first. Why? When working with colors you sometimes get eyeshadow “fall out”. Fall out is when the product gets under your eyes and when you try to get rid of it, it smudges. Fall out can RUIN the hard work you put into your foundation.
Don’t try and research what color will look good with your eye color. Usually it’s wrong. Try stuff on yourself to find what works. For example, my eyes are bluey-greeny-greyish… which technically purples are what I “should” wear. BUT, I find my eyes stand out most with pinks, browns, and silvers. Just be sure you don’t try and wear a color on your eyes that is from the same color family as your eye color, unless it’s MUCH lighter or MUCH darker than your eye color shade. It can compete with it! I recommend lining your eyes with a waterproof liquid or gel liner. I recommend Kat Von D Tattoo Liner! It’s my FAVORITE. Wedding days equals tears, so waterproof is a must. When Im not using Kat Von D liner, I’m using a gel liner by Rimmel London.
Find inspiration! Pinterest, Google, Youtube, and Facebook are LOADED with ideas. Don’t be afraid to practice.
Invest in a palette. My favorite for nude/natural/ light make up is the Urband Decay Naked palette for 52 dollars, or a little more budget friendly is the Nude’Tude palette from the Balm for 40 dollars. Think that’s too much? Break it down. You’re getting MANY high end, amazingly pigmented, eyeshadows for one price. It’s worth it when you do the break down. I also love pigment eyeshadows. You can buy “samples” from many companies such as Dark Heart Designs, StarCrushed Minerals, Pretty Addictions, Pretty Zombie Cosmetics, and Mon Ennui cosmetics for about 1-5 dollars each. I recommend going to an Ulta or Sephora if you’re non committal like me, and like to see what it looks like before you buy it.
Also, do NOT line your water line. Smudge a dark eyeshadow below your lower lashline. It’s softer, and will look MUCH better in pictures.

Step 5: Your face!
Yes, foundation matters. If you have dry skin, avoid powder foundations such as BareMinerals and opt for a moisturizing foundation like Kat Von D Tattoo Foundation or Sephora Instant Radiance foundation. If you have oilier skin, Kat Von D or Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation will suit you well. Yes, foundation is expensive, but it will last you MONTHS.
I’m not a fan of drug store foundation, but if that’s all you can buy, I recommend Revlon PhotoReady because it’s free of silicone which can reflect WHITE in your pictures… and who want’s to be pasty in their wedding pictures? I would also recommend buying a beauty blender sponge to apply foundation. Get it a little wet, and it will give you an airbrushed finish. I got mine at TJ Maxx for a whole 3 dollars.
I would use Rimmel Stay Matte to set ANYTHING you put on your face. It will add a touch of extra coverage, and make sure your foundation stays in place. I also really love True Match by L’Oreal and Aqua Stay by Revlon.
Conceal, CONCEAL, CONCEAL. Dab on under eye concealer with the beauty blender so you don’t have under eye circles. Set it with your powder.

Step 6: Contour… if you can.
This is a step you can skip if you don’t wear much make up. BUT, contouring makes such a huge difference in your face, nose, and chin shape. If you have a bit of a double chin, or if you think you do, you can add a matte bronzer to tone it down. I also recommend watching youtube videos for this step too, because it takes a LOT of practice.
What I can say is Ben Nye Banana Powder is awesome for highlighting, and ELF Dual Contouring Bronzer is excellent for contouring. Make sure your bronzer is MATTE. NO SPARKLE. This is to add dimension, and sculpt your face, not give you a tan. Remember, shimmery products show up weird in photographs. So, limit shimmer to one area of your face, whether it be your cheekbones, eyeshadow, lips, or in my case, my eyelashes. 

Step 7: Say YES to the Lashes
Practice with false lashes so you get comfortable. I buy mine in bulk off Ebay (I have a problem, okay? I admit it.) I get 6 pairs of Red Cherry lashes for 11 bucks shipped. Which comes to less than 2 bucks a pair. I personally wore glitter lashes from Sephora on my wedding day, but I realize that’s not a choice many people would make. The drag queen in my heart was singing that day! Anyways, I love Red Cherry lashes #47, and 747Ms if you’re into more drama. Glue your lashes on after you’ve done your eyeshadow, face, and eyeliner. Then after 2 minutes or so after applying, blend it up with your waterproof mascara.
I used DUO white lash glue because it sticks the best, though NO false eyelashes will last 100% through too many tears. Gently dab at the corners of your eyes with a tissue if you start crying, or your eyelashes WILL lift.
Why not lash extensions? The upkeep is ridiculous. Unless you are committed to getting them filled every 3 weeks, then don’t bother. When they start falling out, you look like you have a disease.
Step 8: Waterproof Your Good Self
Make your make up last through sweat, tears, hugs, and everything else. I spritzed my face with the same stuff I use for doing musicals and plays on stage. Good ol’ Ben Nye Final Seal is my go to to set my make up when I know water is involved. If you buy it on Ebay make sure it says “authentic”, or you may end up SCREWED. Waterproof mascara is a must also. I’m a fan of L’Oreal Telescopic or Volumunous Mascara. If you want a splurge mascara, Lights, Camera, Lashes is for you. Don’t do any of those fiber lash crap. It’ll flake off like a BEAST.

Step 9: Don’t Let Your Lips be Nudey Nude Nakedpants
Never, ever, ever just wear gloss on your wedding day. Try on lipsticks (or lip stains) to see what works best for you. If you’re REALLY against lipstick, there are chubby sticks by companies like Tarte that add color but feel like a yummy chapstick.
I’m a fan of lip tints on days that matter most. I did a lot of kissing on my wedding day, so I just reapplied my MAC Asian Flower lipstick, but for people who hate reapplying every 30 minutes, NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams are the best choice. They’ll feel dried out, but don’t put anything on top of them. The color lasts forever! Shop around. Find something that compliments the overall look you’re going for. If you’re uncomfortable with make up, start out with raspberry toned pinks, (basically a color a couple shades lighter or darker than your natural bare lip color) and then try other shades.

No comments:

Post a Comment